Monday, March 21, 2011

Slow Dancing in a Burning Room

Music & Dance are other forms of poetry as well as major passions of mine. There's nothing like listening to a song or watching a great performance so powerful that you get goosebumps all over your body. The collaboation of those with various forms of artistic abilites coming together to make masterpieces. I love it!

For a Narrative project I illustrated a song called "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" written by the ever so talented John Mayer. This song deals with the concept of love and the struggle you endure when holding on to a relationship that may be past the point of replenishing. To me his lyrics are relatable, authentic and memorable.

(Here's a link to an amazing peformance on "So you think you can Dance" to my song of choice)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNLQqarTxfQ

"So you think you can dance" is one of my favourite shows and has always inspired me to make images. In the beginning I was set on taking a theatrical approach to this project, grasping a connection between the human figures through movements in dance. Shown above are my gestural paintings to get me started with the project. The more I started to think about using enviornments, backdrops or props the more I started making a connection to the patterns & rhythms in nature. Natural disasters came to mind, something that can be both beautiful and intriguing yet intense and destructive. By relating each verse in the song to nature I created an anagorical essense of my take on his words the images started to take on a whole other direction and I ended up with a series of five paintings!

No comments:

Post a Comment