Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thesis Project

For my thesis project at Sheridan College I wanted to design a book capturing the poetry written by John Pedley, a family member who had passed away in 2009. The poems had been found on pieces of loose paper in old boxes and I thought his beautiful words deserved some justice. My goal was to create a keepsake that would touch the hearts of my family and friends.

The picture above was my first attempt at illustrating one of my favorite poems of his called “Wind & Life”. I wanted to experiment with a new media so I started painting on large wood panels. Since John's poetry has a very soft earthy tone, I thought using the natural grains of the wood complimented it well. At first I struggled with self-editing and finding the threads that run throughout my work. However with the help of my amazing teachers, I began to find my creative sensibility. After crossing a stepping-stone in my artwork I started to make powerful images that represented me best!

No comments:

Post a Comment